Via della Madonna Alta,126
Perugia , Italy – 06128
The research activities mainly regard:
- Hydraulic jump
- Turbulent two-phase flow
- River engineering
- Experimental and computational hydraulic
- Hydrological processes
- Remote sensing
Farhad Bahmanpouri was born in Shiraz, Iran, in 1984. He received his M.Sc. degree in Civil Engineering-Hydraulic Engineering from the University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran, in 2013. In 2014, he started his Ph.D. degree in Civil Engineering-Hydraulic Engineering at the University of Tehran, however, after one year he withdrew from UT and began his Ph.D. in Civil Systems Engineering-Hydraulic Engineering at the University of Naples Federico II (unina), Naples, Italy. From May 2017 to Aug 2017 he attended the University of Queensland to conduct his experimental research at the Hydraulic Laboratory of UQ. Finally, he accomplished his Ph.D. dissertation “Experimental study of air entrainment in hydraulic jump on pebbled rough bed” under the supervision of Prof. Carlo Gualtieri (from unina) and Prof. Hubert Chanson (from UQ) in 2019.
In Sep 2020 he joined the Research Institute of Geo-Hydrological Protection (IRPI) of the National Research Council (CNR) in Perugia as a Postdoc Fellow. He is a research member of ENTERPRISING (IntEractions between hydrodyNamics and bioTic communities in fluvial Ecosystems: advancement in the knowledge and undeRstanding of PRocesses and ecosystem sustainability by the development of novel technologieS with fIeld monitoriNg and laboratory testing) project.
Awards and Recognitions
- The scholarship of the University of Naples Federico II (unina), Naples, Italy for the Ph.D. degree, starting from the academic year 2015/2016.
- Ranked 1st among 709 participants (master students) in Iran’s National University Entrance Examination known as KONKOR for the Ph.D. degree in the field of Hydraulic Engineering for the academic year of 2014.
- Ministry of Science, Research and Technology scholarship for Exceptional Talents for the Ph.D. degree at the University of Tehran-Iran, the academic year of 2014.
- Ministry of Science, Research and Technology scholarship for Exceptional Talents for MSc degree at the University of Tehran-Iran, the academic year of 2010.
Actively participated in several research projects including:
- Italy-India Joint Science and Technology Cooperation – Call for Joint Project Proposal for 2021-2023, “Probabilistic floods and sediment transport forecasting in the Himalayas during the extreme events (FLOSET)”, 2022-2024.
- Unmanned Airborne Water Observing System (UAWOS), Call HORIZON-CL6-2022-GOVERNANCE-01, Topic HORIZON-CL6-2022-GOVERNANCE-01-07, Feb. 2023-Feb. 2027.
- Progetto PRIN 2018 “IntEractions between hydrodyNamics and bioTic communities in fluvial Ecosystems: advancement in the knowledge and undeRstanding of PRocesses and ecosystem sustainability by the development of novel technologieS with fIeld monitoring and laboratory testing (ENTERPRISING)’. 2019-2023, https://enterprisingprin.eu/.
- Clim Amazon, Joint Brazilian-European facility for climate and geodynamic research on the Amazon River Basin sediments. (Jan. 2016 – Jan. 2019)
- Caspian Sea Project, Namrood Consulting Engineers Company, working as a member of the modeling team in Namrood Co. (Aug 2012 – Aug 2014), Tehran, Iran.
REVIEWED JOURNAL PAPERS
- Bahmanpouri, F., Termini, D., Barbetta, S., Gualtieri, C., Dionigi, M., Moramarco., T. Investigating hydrodynamics and turbulent effects for different flow conditions using spatial complexity metrics. Journal of Hydrology (Under review).
- Bahmanpouri, F., Lazzarin, T., Barbetta, S., Viero, D., Moramarco, T. Estimating flood discharge at river bridges using the Entropy theory: Insights from Computational Fluid Dynamics flow fields. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences (Under review).
- Kechnit, D., Tshimanga, R. M., Ammari, A., Trigg, M. A., Carr, A. B., Bahmanpouri, F., Barbetta, S., Moramarco, T. Employing an entropy-based approach for bathymetry and discharge estimation in large rivers. Water Resources Research (Under review).
- Pilbala, A., Bahmanpouri, F., Rezezadeh, S., Piccolroaz, S., Fraccarollo, L., Moramarco, T. Evaluating the Reynolds shear stress based on applying the Entropy concept for natural rivers – A case study on the Adige River, Italy. (ready to be submitted to the Journal of Hydrology)
- Khazaei, S., Rezazadeh, S., Azimmohseni, M., Najafinejad, A., Bahmanpouri, F., Applying a transfer function model to improve the sediment rating curve. International Journal of River Basin Management (Under review).
- Qorbani Fouladi, M., Bahmanpouri, F., Rezazadeh, S. Kollolemad, F., Mashayekhi, M., Viccione, G., (2023). A study of the sidewall’s effects on -shaped floating breakwaters interacting with water waves by the scaled boundary FEM. Ocean Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2023.115200
- Bahmanpouri, F., Termini, D., Barbetta, S., Dionigi, M., Moramarco, T., (2023). Significance of hydraulic complexity parameters M1 and M2 based on laboratory and field data. Hydrology Research 2023; 54 (3): 303–312. doi: https://doi.org/10.2166/nh.2023.089
- Bahmanpouri, F., Gualtieri, C., Chanson, H. (2023) Experiments on two-phase flow in hydraulic jump on pebbled rough bed: Part 1–Turbulence properties and particle chord time and length. Water Science and Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wse.2023.05.002
- Bahmanpouri, F., Gualtieri, C., Chanson, H. (2023) Experiments on two-phase flow in hydraulic jump on pebbled rough bed: Part 2–Bubble clustering. Water Science and Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wse.2023.05.003
- Bahmanpouri, F., Eltner, A., Barbetta, S., Bertalan, L., Moramarco, T. (2022). Estimating the average river cross section velocity by observing only one surface velocity value and calibrating the entropic parameter. Water Resources Research, https://doi.org/10.1029/2021WR031821
- Khoshkones, A., Daliri, M., Khuram, R., Ahmadi Dehrashid, F., Bahmanpouri, F., Di Francesco, S. (2022). Dam-break flow dynamics over a stepped channel with vegetation. Journal of Hydrology, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2022.128395
- Ammari, A., Bahmanpouri, F., Khelfi, M. A., Moramarco, T. (2022). The regionalizing of the entropy parameter over the north Algerian watersheds, a discharge measurement approach for ungauged river sites. Hydrological Science Journal. https://doi.org/10.1080/02626667.2022.2099744
- Khanahmadi, E., Dehghani, A. A., Meftah Halaghi, M., Kordi, E., Bahmanpouri, F. (2022). Investigating the characteristic of hydraulic T-Jump on rough bed based on experimental and numerical modeling. Modeling Earth Systems and Environment.https://doi.org/10.1007/s40808-022-01434-2
- Bahmanpouri, F., Gualtieri, C., Chanson, H. (2022). Air-water flow properties in hydraulic jumps on pebbled rough bed. ISH Journal of Hydraulic Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1080/09715010.2022.2068354
- Salehi Neyshabouri, S. A. A., Heidarian, P., Khoshkonesh, A., Bahmanpouri, F., Nsom, B., (2022). Numerical study of flow characteristics and energy dissipation over the slotted roller bucket system. Modeling Earth Systems and Environment. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40808-022-01372-z
- Ahadiyan, J., Bahmanpouri, F., Adeli, A., Gualtieri, C., Khoshkonesh, A. (2022). Riprap Effect on Hydraulic Fracturing Process of Cohesive and Non-cohesive Protective Levees. Water Resources Managemen, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11269-021-03044-6
- Bahmanpouri, F., Barbetta, S., Gualtieri, C., Ianniruberto, M., Filizola, N., Termini, D., & Moramarco, T. (2022). Prediction of river discharges at confluences based on Entropy theory and surface-velocity measurements. Journal of Hydrology, 127404. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2021.127404
- Bahmanpouri, F., Gualtieri, C., Chanson, H. (2021) Flow patterns and free-surface dynamics in hydraulic jump on pebbled rough bed. Water Management. https://doi.org/10.1680/jwama.20.00040
- Khoshkonesh, A., Nsom, B., Bahmanpouri, F., Ahmadi Dehrashid, F., Adeli, A. (2021) Numerical study of the dynamics and the structure of a partial dam-break flow using the VOF method. Water Resources Management. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11269-021-02799-2
- Taravatrooy, N., Bahmanpouri, F., Nikoo, M. R., Gualtieri, C., Izady, A. (2021) Estimating of air-flow parameters and turbulent intensity in hydraulic jump on rough bed using Bayesian model averaging. Applied Soft Computing. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2021.107165
- Bahmanpouri, F., Daliri, M., Khoshkonesh, A., Namin, M. M., Buccino, M. (2020) Bed compaction effect on dam break flow over erodible bed; experimental and numerical modeling, Journal of Hydrology 125645. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2020.125645
- Ahadiyan, J., Adeli, A., Bahmanpouri, F., Gualtieri, C. (2018) Numerical simulation of flow and scour in a laboratory junction, Geosciences, 8(5):162. https://doi.org/10.3390/geosciences8050162
REVIEWED CONFERENCE PAPERS and BOOK CHAPTERS
- Bahmanpouri, F., Termini, D., Barbetta, S., Moramarco, T., (2022). Application of the Entropy concept to calculate the spatial metrics of the river flow. Hydrology days (Le Giornate dell’Idrologia della Società Idrologica Italiana) 2022, Genova, 9-11 Novembre 2022.
- Bahmanpouri F., Barbetta S., Moramarco T., ‘Presenting the hydraulic complexity parameters M1, M2 and M3: case study Po River, Italy’, Proceedings of the 39th IAHR World Congress (Granada, 2022), ISSN Online: 2521-716X, ISSN Print: 2521-7119, ISBN: 978-90-832612-1-8, http://10.3850/IAHR-39WC2521711920221243
- Bahmanpouri, F., Barbetta, S., Gualtieri, C., Ianniruberto, M., Filizola, N., Termini, D., Moramarco, T. (2021) “Estimating the hydrodynamic and morphodynamic characteristics using Entropy theory at the confluence of Negro and Solimões Rivers”, EGU General Assembly Apr. 2021. https://doi.org/10.5194/egusphere-egu21-10330
- Bahmanpouri, F., Eltner, A., Barbetta, S., Bertalan, L., Moramarco, T. (2021). Estimating the velocity and discharge rates using the Entropy approach based on a single surface velocity measurement. Hydrology days ( Le Giornate dell’Idrologia della Società Idrologica Italiana) 2021, Napoli, 29 settembre 2021.
- Bahmanpouri, F., Gualtieri, C., Chanson, H., (2019) “Air-water flow characteristics in hydraulic jump on pebbled rough bed”, 38th IAHR World Congress, Panama, 1-6 Sep 2019. https://doi.org/10.3850/38WC092019-0557
- Bahmanpouri, F., Gualtieri, C., Chanson, H., (2018) “Basic characteristic of hydraulic jump on pebbled rough bed”, 9th International Congress on Environmental Modelling and Software, Colorado, USA, 24-28 Jun 2018.
- Bahmanpouri, F., Filizola, N., Ianniruberto, M., Gualtieri, C., (2017) “A new methodology for presenting hydrodynamics data from a large river confluence”. 37th IAHR World Congress, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 13-18 Aug 2017.
- Bahmanpouri F (2019) Experimental study of air entrainment in hydraulic jump on pebbled rough bed, Ph.D. thesis, Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering Department, The University of Napoli Federico II, Naples, Italy. http://dx.doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.27625.16485