Via della Madonna Alta,126
Perugia , Italy – 06128
The research activities mainly regard:
- Rainfall estimation through satellite data;
- Flood forecasting;
- Drought monitoring and forecasting;
- Machine learning application in hydrology.
Hamidreza Mosaffa was born in Jahrom, Iran, in 1989. He received the B.Sc. and M.Sc. degree in Water Engineering, both ranked first, from Shiraz University, Iran, in 2011 and 2013, respectively. In 2019, he got his Ph.D. degree from Shiraz University, Iran. The title of his Ph.D. dissertation was “Flood Forecasting Framework under Semi-Arid Region”. In 2018, he was a visiting scholar at the Center for Hydrometeorology and Remote Sensing at the University of California, Irvine under the supervision of Prof. Soroosh Sorooshian.
In December 2021, he received a Postdoctoral fellowship to carry out research at the Research Institute of Geo-Hydrological Protection (IRPI) of the National Research Council (CNR) in Perugia under the project titled “Analysis and use of hydro-meteorological data derived from ground stations and satellites, for the hydrological application”.
Awards and Recognitions
- Ranked 1st in both B.Sc. and M.Sc. degree.
- Ranked 1st among 36 applications for Shiraz University PhD program.
- Student Travel Grant, 2017, ICTP, Italy.
- Ph.D. Student Travel Grant, 2018, Ministry of Science, Research and Technology of Iran for visiting the University of California, Irvine.
REVIEWED JOURNAL PAPERS
- Mallakpour, I., Sadeghi, M., Mosaffa, H., Akbari Asanjan, A., Sadegh, M., Nguyen, P., Sorooshian, S., & AghaKouchak, A. Discrepancies in changes in precipitation characteristics over the contiguous United States based on six daily gridded precipitation datasets. Weather and Climate Extremes, 100433. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wace.2022.100433
- Sadeghi, M., Shearer, E. J., Mosaffa, H., Gorooh, V. A., Naeini, M. R., Hayatbini, N., … & Sorooshian, S. (2021). Application of remote sensing precipitation data and the CONNECT algorithm to investigate spatiotemporal variations of heavy precipitation: Case study of major floods across Iran (Spring 2019). Journal of Hydrology, 600, 126569. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2021.126569
- Mosaffa, H., Sadeghi, M., Hayatbini, N., Afzali Gorooh, V., Akbari Asanjan, A., Nguyen, P., & Sorooshian, S. (2020). Spatiotemporal Variations of Precipitation over Iran Using the High-Resolution and Nearly Four Decades Satellite-Based PERSIANN-CDR Dataset. Remote Sensing, 12(10), 1584. https://www.mdpi.com/2072-4292/12/10/1584
- Mosaffa, H., Shirvani, A., Khalili, D., Nguyen, P., & Sorooshian, S. (2020). Post and near real-time satellite precipitation products skill over Karkheh River Basin in Iran. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 41(17), 6484-6502. https://doi.org/10.1080/01431161.2020.1739352
- Mosaffa, H., & Sepaskhah, A. R. (2019). Performance of irrigation regimes and water salinity on winter wheat as influenced by planting methods. Agricultural Water Management, 216, 444-456. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2018.10.027
REVIEWED CONFERENCE PAPERS and BOOK CHAPTERS
- Mosaffa, H., Sadeghi, M., Mallakpour, I., Jahromi, M. N., & Pourghasemi, H. R. (2022). Application of machine learning algorithms in hydrology. In Computers in Earth and Environmental Sciences (pp. 585-591). Elsevier.
- Mallakpour, I., Sadeghi, M., Mosaffa, H., Sadegh, M., & Aghakouchak, A. (2019, Jun). Analysis of changes in precipitation characteristics over the contiguous USA in recent decades. In 12th International Precipitation Conference (IPC12) Abstracts
- Mosaffa, H., Shirvani, A., Khalili, D., Nguyen, P., & Sorooshian, S. (2018, December). Assessment of Satellite-Based Extreme Precipitation Estimates in a Semi-Arid Region (Karkheh River Basin in Iran). In AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts.