Via della Madonna Alta,126
Perugia , Italy – 06128
Office Phone: +39 0755014-426
The research activities mainly regard:
- Assessing impacts of climate change on karst groundwater;
- Assessing uncertainties hydrological modeling;
- Combining hydrodynamics and hydrochemistry in hydrological modeling;
- Inferring groundwater flow processes from artificial tracer tests;
- Using satellite data for hydrological modeling at the catchment scale.
Vianney Sivelle was born in Grenoble, France, in 1993. He received his M.S. degree in civil and environmental engineering at Bordeaux University in 2016. He gets a PhD grant from the French ministry of teaching and research (MESR, 2016-2019) and defended a PhD thesis “Conceptual, systemic and distributed approaches for artificial tracer tests interpretation in karst: implication for the determination of the internal structure of karst aquifers”. He continues his research in karst hydrology at Montpellier University (2019-2023) where he dedicates his activities in assessing effect of climate change on karst groundwater and develops lumped parameter modeling approaches. Then, he obtains a grant from the Italian national research council (CNR, 2023-2024) to work on the use of high-resolution satellite data for hydrological modeling in the Mediterranean area.
Vianney Sivelle participates to several research projects:
- Oeillal’s spring. Funding from ORANO, November 2019 – March 2021 (Participation)
- KARMA. Funding from Partnership for Research and Innovation in the Mediterranean Area (PRIMA) program under Horizon 2020, September 2019 – February 2023 (Participation)
- ROCKAT. Funding from Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG), April 2021 – March 2024
Academic and lecturing
- PhD student in charge of teaching at Paul Sabatier University (Toulouse, France), “Geochemistry, environment, atmosphere & ocean”, “Interaction soil/structure”, “Geology”;
- Lectures at Montpellier University in groundwater flow modeling;
- Seminary for Master students at Montpellier University: Impact of climate change on karst groundwater resources in the Mediterranean area.
- Animation of the working group “rain-level-flow modelling” within the French national observatory of karst aquifers (SNO KARST).
Editorial board, referring, convener activities and conference organization
- Guest editor for a Special Issue “Karst Groundwater Sustainability” to be published in the journal Sustainability (MDPI).
- Sivelle, V., Cinkus, G., Mazzilli, N., Labat, D., Arfib, B., Massei, N., Cousquer, Y., Bertin, D., Jourde, H., (under review). Improvement of the KarstMod modeling platform for a better assessment of karst groundwater resources. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences Discussions, 1–26, (https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-2023-17).
- Al-Khoury, I., Boithias, L., Bailey, T. B., Ollivier, C., Sivelle., V., Labat, D. (under review). Impact of land-use change on karst spring response by integration of surface processes in karst hydrology: the ISPEEKH model, Submitted on Journal of Hydrology
REVIEWED JOURNAL PAPERS
- Labat, D., Guilloteau, T., Lamagnère, S., Dumareau, T., Haryouli, G., Béranger, S., Granouillac, F., Sivelle, V., 2023. New insights from an enhancement of hydrogeological archives of a French karst watershed over the last 50 years, Comptes Rendus. Géoscience, 355, 1-9, https://doi.org/10.5802/crgeos.167
- Shirafkan, M., Mohammadi, Z., Kavousi, A., Sivelle, V., Labat, D., Reimann, T., 2023. Toward the estimation of the transfer coefficient in karst systems: Using baseflow recession coefficient under matrix-restrained flow regime. Journal of Hydrology 620, 129441. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2023.129441
- Sivelle, V., Jourde, H., Bittner, D., Richieri, B., Labat, D., Hartmann, A., Chiogna, G., 2022. Considering land cover and land use (LCLU) in lumped parameter modeling in forest dominated karst catchments, Journal of Hydrology, 612, 128264, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2022.128264
- Sivelle, V., Pérotin, L., Ladouche, B., de Montety, V., Bailly-Comte, V., Champollion, C., Jourde, H., 2022. A lumped parameter model to evaluate the relevance of excess air as a tracer of exchanged flows between transmissive and capacitive compartments of karst systems. Frontiers in Water , 4. https://doi.org/10.3389/frwa.2022.930115
- Labat, D., Argouze, R., Mazzilli, N., Ollivier, C., Sivelle, V., 2022. Impact of Withdrawals on Karst Watershed Water Supply. Water 14, 1339. https://doi.org/10.3390/w14091339
- Sivelle, V., Jourde, H., Bittner, D., Mazzilli, N., Tramblay, Y., 2021. Assessment of the relative impacts of climate changes and anthropogenic forcing on spring discharge of a Mediterranean karst system Journal of Hydrology, 598, 126396, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2021.126396
- Shirafkan, M., Mohammadi, Z., Sivelle, V., Labat, D., 2021. The Effects of Exchange Flow on the Karst Spring Hydrograph under the Different Flow Regimes: A Synthetic Modeling Approach.Water, 13, 1189. https://doi.org/10.3390/w13091189
- Sivelle, V., Jourde, H., 2020. A methodology for the assessment of groundwater resource variability in karst catchments with sparse temporal measurements, Hydrogeol J, 29, 137-157, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10040-020-02239-2
- Sivelle, V., Renard, P., Labat, D., 2020b. Coupling SKS and SWMM to Solve the Inverse Problem Based on Artificial Tracer Tests in Karstic Aquifers.Water, 12, 1139. https://doi.org/10.3390/w12041139
- Olarinoye, T., Gleeson, T., Marx, V., Seeger, S., Adinehvand, R., Allocca, …Sivelle, V.,… 2020. Global karst springs hydrograph dataset for research and management of the world’s fastest-flowing groundwater. Scientific Data, 7, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41597-019-0346-5
- Sivelle, V., Labat, D., 2019. Short-term variations in tracer-test responses in a highly karstified watershed. Hydrogeol J 27, 2061–2075. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10040-019-01968-3
- Sivelle, V., Labat, D., Mazzilli, N., Massei, N., Jourde, H., 2019a. Dynamics of the Flow Exchanges between Matrix and Conduits in Karstified Watersheds at Multiple Temporal Scales. Water 11, 569. https://doi.org/10.3390/w11030569
- Sivelle, V., Lorette, G., Tremoulet, J., Bardeau, M., Labat, D., 2019b. Interprétation de traçages artificiels en domaine karstique par approche de type fonction de transfert : Application à l’hydrosystème karstique de l’Ouysse (Lot, France). Géologues 73–79.
- Jourde, H., Massei, N., Mazzilli, N., Binet, S., Batiot-Guilhe, C., …,Sivelle, V., …, 2018. SNO KARST: A French Network of Observatories for the Multidisciplinary Study of Critical Zone Processes in Karst Watersheds and Aquifers. Vadose Zone Journal 17, 2061–2075. https://doi.org/10.2136/vzj2018.04.0094
REVIEWED CONFERENCE PAPERS and BOOK CHAPTERS
- Sivelle, V., Labat, D., Duran, L., Fournier, M., Massei, N., 2020a. Artificial Tracer Tests Interpretation Using Transfer Function Approach to Study the Norville Karst System, in: Bertrand, C., Denimal, S., Steinmann, M., Renard, P. (Eds.), Eurokarst 2018, Besançon. Springer International Publishing, Cham, pp. 193–198. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-14015-1_22