ESA Climate Change Initiative Soil Moisture
Period: 2012 – 2017
Partners: The consortium is based on a close collaboration between 8 partners:
- Technische Universität Wien (TUW), Austria
- GeoVille Information Systems GmbH (GeoVille), Austria
- Angewandte Wissenschaft Software und Technologie GmbH (AWST), Austria
- Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VUA), The Netherlands
- Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich (ETH Zürich), Switzerland
- Finnish Meteorolocial Institute (FMI), Finland
- University College Cork (UCC), Ireland
- Norwegian Institute for Air Research (NILU), Norway
IRPI-CNR is involved in the project as Key science body
Description: The Soil Moisture CCI project is part of the ESA Programme on Global Monitoring of Essential Climate Variables (ECV), better known as the Climate Change Initiative (CCI), initiated in 2010 for a period of 6 years. The CCI Programme wants to contribute to the data bases collecting ECVs required by GCOS (Global Climate Observing System) and other international parties. In particular, the Soil Moisture CCI will analyse the needs of the climate research community in terms of soil moisture data, adapt soil moisture satellite measurements for their use by the climate research community and create a long-term consistent soil moisture time series, based on active and passive data, suitable for climate change studies.
The overall objective of the project is to produce the most complete and most consistent global soil moisture data record based on active and passive microwave sensors.