Via della Madonna Alta 126, 06128 Perugia, Italy
Office Phone: +39 0755014-405 Mob. +39 3291808832
Christian Massari was born in Cascia (Perugia), Italy, in 1981. He received the M.S. degree in environmental engineering and the Ph.D. degree in hydraulic engineering, both with excellence, from the University of Perugia (Perugia), Italy, in 2008 and 2012, respectively. In support of his Ph.D. he received fellowships to carry out research at The Department of Hydrology and Water Resources of the University of Arizona, Tucson (United States), where he has worked in the field of hydraulic groundwater and Hydraulic Tomographic techniques. From November 2011 to February 2013 Christian Massari has been research fellow at the “Dipartimento di Ingegneria Civile ed Ambientale” of the University of Perugia – Italy, where he has worked in the development of data fusion techniques for the diagnosis of pressurized pipe systems. From March 2013 to December 2016 he carried out research activities as a postdoctoral researcher at the Research Institute of Geo-Hydrological Protection (IRPI) of the National Research Council (CNR) of Perugia (Italy). In December 2016 Christian Massari won the public competition for the research permanent position (he classified first out of about 350 participants) at CNR-IRPI where he currently works.
Since 2008, Christian Massari has been conducting research in the field of hydraulic and hydrology focussing on topics that span from water resource management, flood forecasting, drought monitoring using land surface models and remote sensing data. He has developed works in these areas producing +80 contributions in peer reviewed hydrologic and hydraulic journals. His research interests include:
- Hydrological and land surface water balance modeling
- Development of land data assimilation systems to ingest remote sensing retrievals
- Microwave and radar remote sensing of soil moisture and precipitation
- Drought monitoring and its relation with food production
- Hydrological drought development
- Supply pipe system diagnosis for the reduction of energy and water waste
- Floods and drought hazards assessment through remote sensing information
- Eco hydrology
Awards and Recognitions
- 2022: Selected highlighted Paper on Hydrology and Earth System Science (HESS) journal (Copernicus Publications). Evaporation enhancement drives the water budget deficit during multi-year drought.
- 2019: Winner of the ESA-Copernicus Excellence Award (https://www.esa.int/Applications/Observing_the_Earth/ESA_EGU_announce_Excellence_Award_winners)
- 2018: “Winner of the Copernicus Masters competition: BayWa Smart Farming Challenge” given by Copernicus Masters
- 2018: Member of Panel discussion at the The 5th Satellite Soil Moisture Validation and Application Workshop 2018. George Mason University, Fairfax, VA (USA). October 24/25, 2018: “Winner of the Short Mobility Program” of the Italian National Research Council.
- 2018: “Top Reviewers for Geosciences” ( #20) given by Publons.
- 2017: “Publons Peer Review Awards 2017” given by Publons, as one of the top 1% of peer reviewers in Environmental Science.
- 2016: “The Sentinel of Science Award 2016” given by Publons, 6th place among Earth and Planetary Science.
- 2016: “Best poster award IDRA” (co-author) for ” Potenziale dei dati satellitari per la previsione delle piene nel fiume Benue in Nigeria” by A. Tarpanelli, G. Amarnath, L. Brocca, C. Massari, S. Barbetta, and T. Moramarco.
- 2016: “Winner of the Short Mobility Program” of the National Research Council.
- 2014: “Nature Research Highlights” for the paper: “Detecting rainfall from the bottom up”. Nature, 509, 262–263 per l’articolo: “ Brocca, L., Ciabatta, L., Massari, C., Moramarco, T., Hahn, S., Hasenauer, S., Kidd, R., Dorigo, W., Wagner, W., Levizzani, V. (2014). Soil as a natural rain gauge: estimating global rainfall from satellite soil moisture data. Journal of Geophysical Research, 119(9), 5128-5141, doi:10.1002/2014JD02148”
- 2012: “Early Careers Water Loss Symposium Award” at International Conference Water Loss 2012, Ferrara May 23/25 2012 for the paper: “Hydraulic characterization of leaks in pressurised pipes”.
Christian Massari actively participated (as responsible and coordinator) to several research projects in the frame of Italian and European programs and funded by International space agencies (ESA, EUMETSAT), in collaboration with Italian and International institutions.
- Co-investigator. Probabilistic FLOods and SEdiment Transport forecasting in the Himalayas during the extreme events (FLOSET).
- Partner PI. New earth observation mission ideas (NEOMI): Sub-daily Land Atmosphere INTEractions: SLAINTE. Partner PI for CNR (35000€).
- Co-investigator. Digital Twin Earth Hydrology Evolution (ESA)
- Principal Investigator. PRIN Waterstem – 2021-2023 (357000 €)
- Princicipal Investigator. @CNR Wafer – 2021-2023 (147000 €)
- Principal Investigator. ESA 4DMED-Hydrology. 2021-2023 (999000 €)
- Co-investigator. Convenzione Regione Umbria Scale di Portata. 2021-2024
- Unit responsibility. HYDRO-CFD, Regione Umbria, 2020-2022.
- Co-investigator. European Space Agency (ESA). DTE Hydrology
- Co-Investigator. European Space Agency (ESA). Irrigation+. March 2020-March 2022 (450000 € ).
- Participation. FFG Cooperative R&D Project. Resolving the Daily Water Cycle over Land with Radar Satellites. DWC-Radar. (26808 €)
- Co-Investigator. European Space Agency (ESA). STREAM. March 2019-March 2020 (110000,00 €)
- Principal Investigator. European Space Agency (ESA). SMOS+RAINFALL Land II ESRIN/4000114738. March 2018-April 2019 (47.468,00 €)
- Unit responsibility. European Space Agency (ESA). SMOS+RAINFALL Land, ESA/ESRIN 400114738/15/I-SBo. July 2015 -December 2017 (95.067,00 €).
- Unit Responsibility. European Space Agency (ESA). WACMOS IRRIGATION, ESA EXPRO RFP/3-14680/16/I-NB. Jan. 2017 -December 2017 (69,985.00 €)
- Coordinator and Unit Responsibility. International Water Management Institute. Consulting contract n° 4500027099. Algorithm development to estimate discharge using multisource remote sensing data and its application in Nigeria and India. April 2015 – July 2015. (15000 €).
- Unit responsibility. EU Life+2011 ENV/GR/ “FLoods and fire Risk assessment and management (FLIRE) ” Oct 2012- Sep. 2015 (106.000,00 €).
- Participation. Earth Observation Data Centre for Water Resource Monitoring (EODC). 37 years of soil moisture derived rainfall: application of SM2RAIN to the CCIsoil moisture product, algorithm improvement and product validation. Jan. 2015- Dec. 2016 (40000 €).
- Co-investigator. RU scale. Regione Umbria.
- Participation. Italian Civil Protection Department (DPC). Agreement between the Department of Italian Civil Protection and CNR. IRPI-CNR 24164/2015. Feb. 2013- Sept. 2016. (€ 43935.64).
- Unit responsibility. Regione Umbria. Sviluppo della conoscenza della pericolosità idraulica finalizzata alla mitigazione del rischio di un territorio a complessa interazione idrologica, idrogeologica ed idraulica. Caso di studio area urbana di Pistrino – Alta valle del Tevere Umbro. May 2015 – June 2016 (50000 €).
- Participation. Regione Umbria. Affidamento del servizio inerente l’implementazione operativa dell’elaborazione di scenari dinamici di rischio alluvionale e diffusione risultati su tecnologie web-Gis, anche in ambito recepimento Direttiva alluvioni 2007″ (2012-2013) sostenuto dal POR-FESR (Programma Operativo Regionale del Fondo europeo di sviluppo regionale). Jan. 2012 – Nov. 2013 (32000 €).
- Participation. Regione Umbria. Affidamento del servizio inerente le attività connesse al rischio siccità con il completamento dello studio dei principali sistemi idrici significativi umbri e realizzazione dei sistemi dinamici di analisi e supporto alle decisioni e diffusione dei risultati, SECLI II (2012-2013) sostenuto dal POR-FESR. Jan. 2012 – Nov. 2013 (130000 €).
Academic and lecturing
- Lecturer. H SAF 5th User Workshop 24-28 January 2022.
- Lecturer 5 h. Seminar on the “Use of Earth observation data in hydrology”. University of California – Berkeley.
- +20 hours of lectures on application of remote sensing for hydrology for the Italian Civil Protection Department and for EUMETSAT and serves as a teacher in the “Diplomazia 2” program of CNR.
- +10 M.Sc. thesis in hydrology and hydraulic applied research areas at the CNR, University of Perugia and at the University of Arizona (Tucson)
- 2010: Co-lecturer. Hydraulic. University of Perugia, Italy
- 2009: Co-lecturer. Hydraulic Infrastructures. University of Perugia, Italy
- 2022: Member of the International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ISPRS) Working group 3. Remote Sensing of the Hydrosphere and Cryosphere. https://www2.isprs.org/commissions/comm3/wg7/
- 2022: Secretary of the Italian Hydrological Society.
- 2021: Member of the Committee for the GFG review panel for the “Cosmic Sense” Research Unit https://www.dfg.de/en/research_funding/programmes/coordinated_programmes/research_units/index.html
- 2020: Member of the Committee for the Hydrology Outstanding Student Presentation Awards (OSPA) of the American Geophysical Union General Assembly 2020. https://education.agu.org/ospa/
- 2020: Member of the “International Steering Committee of Hymex”
- 2020: Member of the “Satellite geodetic data assimilation for hydro-climate research” working group.
- 2019: Member of the American Geophysical Union Technical Committee on Precipitation.
- 2018: Part of the Committee of Earth Observations Satellite and participated to the Workshop in Freshwater from Space, 13 – 15 nov 2018 Delft, Netherlands.
- 2013 on: Member of Italian Hydrological Society, the Italian Group of Hydraulics (GII), the European Geophysical Union (EGU) and the American Geophysical Union (AGU).
- 2018: Visiting researcher at the Department of Civil, Environmental, and Infrastructure (CEIE) at George Mason University (Fairfax Fairfax, Virginia, USA)”
- 2016: Visiting researcher at “United States Department of Agriculture (Maryland, USA)”
- 2010-2011: Visiting scholarship at the “Department of Hydrology and Water Resources of the University of Arizona (Tucson, USA)
National and International PhD supervisor and examination committees
- 2022: Member of the PhD Examination Committee for Ph.D thesis: Modelling of water balance and crop growth based on Earth Observation and re-analysis data. Doctoral Program in Civil and Environmental Engineering (34th Cycle).
- 2022: Co-supervisor of the Ph.D thesis of Sara Modanesi: Innovative Use of Earth Observation and Land Surface Modeling for Tracking the Effects of Irrigation on the Terrestrial Water Cycle. DOCTORATE IN CIVIL AND ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING. XXXIV Cycle.
- 2021: Member of the supervisor committee Louise Busschaert (KU-Leuven).
- 2021: Co-Supervisor of one Ph.D in SUSTAINABLE MANAGEMENT OF AGRICULTURAL FORESTRY AND FOOD RESOURCES 37° ciclo, a.a.
- 2021/2022. University of Florence, Italy, (https://www.phd-gsrafa.dagri.unifi.it/ls-12-phd-program.html)
- 2019: Member of the supervisor committee of one PhD position in the “Dottorato di ricerca in Scienze Agroalimentari ed Ambientali 36° ciclo, a.a. 2020/2021. University of Trento, Italy.
- 2018: Member of the supervisor committee of one PhD position in the Doctoral School: Science, Engineering & Technology, Arenberg Doctoral School KU-Leuven University, Belgium.
- 2017: Foreign Member of the PhD Examination Committee for “International Doctor Award”: Public University of Navarre (Pamplona).
Editorial board, referring, convener activities and conference organization
- 2022: Co-convener of the session : New advancements and integrations of observation systems for monitoring hydrological processes and for supporting the sustainable management of agro-forest systems IEEE INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON METROLOGY FOR AGRICULTURE AND FORESTRY. Perugia 2-5 November 2022.
- 2022: Organizer of the “6th Satellite Soil Moisture Validation and Application Workshop”. Perugia 7-9th June 2022. http://venti-eventi.com/
- 2021: Primary convener of the American Geophysical Union Fall meeting 2021 Session: Remote Sensing, Modeling, and Data Assimilation of the Terrestrial Water Cycle I, II, III, IV.
- 2021: Guest editor (Water). “Sustainable and Robust Water Futures in the Context of Global Change
- 2021: Guest Editor Special Issue on Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment (Elsevier): How agricultural land use and management influence water-carbon interactions in dryland ecosystems
- 2021: Guest Editor of the “Remote Sensing” Journal Special Issue: Remote Sensing for Water Resources and Environmental Management
- 2021: Review Editor of “Water and Hydrocomplexity” Frontiers Journal. https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/water/sections/water-and-hydrocomplexity#editorial-board
- 2021: Member of the Editorial Board of Multi- and Hyper-Spectral Imaging as Review Editor for Frontiers in Remote Sensing. https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/remote-sensing/sections/multi–and-hyper-spectral-imaging
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium IGARSS 2017 and IGARSS 2018 and IGARSS 2020.
- From 2019: Associate Editor for Remote Sensing journal (MDPI)
- From 2018: Associate Editor for the Journal of Hydrology (Elsevier)
- Editor (with Dr. Viviana Maggioni) of the book “Extreme Hydroclimatic Events and Multivariate Hazards in a Changing Climate” for Elsevier.
- 2019: Member of the Scientific Committee of the Living Planet Symposium 2019.
- 2018: Co-chair at the The 5th Satellite Soil Moisture Validation and Application Workshop 2018. Fairfax, VA (USA). October 24/25, 2018.
- 2018: Responsible for the evaluation of visiting scientist activity proposal “Leveraging coincident H-SAF soil moisture and precipitation within the Eumetsat Satellite Application Facility on Support to Operational Hydrology and Water Management (H-SAF).
- 2018: Co-convener and part of the science committee at the European Geophysical Union (EGU) –16th Plinius Conference on Mediterranean Risks. Session “PL4 – Advances in remote sensing methods for hydro-meteorological risk monitoring. EGU Topical Conference Series, Montpellier, France. 9–11 October 2018.
- 2018: Co-convener at the European Geophysical Union (EGU) General Assembly – session AS1.16/CL2.04/HS11.6 “Precipitation: Measurement, Climatology, Remote Sensing, and Modeling (co-organized)”
- 2011: member of the organizing committee of two National conferences: La diagnosi e la gestione dei sistemi idrici”, Roma, 16-17 giugno 2011 and Giornate dell’idrologia, Perugia 6/8 Ottobre 2015 organized by Italian Hydrological Society.
- Since 2009: Reviewer for 123 manuscript in international scientific journals certificated by Publons-Web of Science (https://publons.com/researcher/723602/christian-massari/)
- From meteorological to hydrological drought in Europe: amplification and recovery, Symposium on Drought and Climate Change organized by Hohai University (China) and the Institute of Geophysics Polish Academy of Sciences (Poland) (Keynote Speaker). November 24 and 25, 2022.
- Leveraging new Earth observation data for improving flood forecasting in Europe. New satellite data for hydrological applications (on line) organized by Groupement de recherche international-Sud : Risques Hydrologiques au Maghreb https://rhymanet.wordpress.com/2022/08/30/webinar-on-new-satellite-data-for-hydrological-applications
- Data assimilation of remote sensing observations into hydrological models: challenges and perspectives. EGU GALILEO conference: A European vision for hydrological observations and experimentation. NAPLES | ITALY | 20–23/09/2021 (shifted to 2023 for COVID-19 emergency).
- Antecedent wetness conditions of European floods: a comprehensive study. Hydrologic Remote Sensing, Modeling and Data Assimilation session at the 2020 International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS). Waikoloa, Hawaii, on July 19-24, 2020 (held on line).
- Invited member of the Panel Discussion of the 5th Satellite Soil Moisture Validation and Application Workshop 2018, George Mason University, 2018.
- Soil moisture products: Quality assessment and hydro-validation in Satellite inspired hydrology in an uncertain future: a H SAF and HEPEX workshop, ECMWF | Reading | 25-28 November 2019
- Assimilation of H-SAF soil moisture products for hydrological modelling in Mediterranean catchments. “H-SAF and HEPEX workshops on coupled hydrology”, European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF), 3-7 November 2014, Reading (UK).
- Assimilation of Soil Moisture products into hydrological models, “First H-SAF Assimilation Workshop”Slovak Hydrometeorological Institute (SHMÚ), May 2014, Bratislava (Slovakia).
He has been author and co-author of 80+ journal referred papers (4003 citations, H-index=36 with SCHOLAR) and 21 papers in peer-reviewed conference proceedings/book chapters and national journals. He has held +50 presentations at conference and workshops with 2 as invited speaker.
- Bruno, G., Avanzi, F., Gabellani, S., Ferraris, L., Cremonese, E., Galvagno, M., Massari, C., 2022. Disentangling the role of subsurface storage in the propagation of drought through the hydrological cycle. Advances in Water Resources 169. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advwatres.2022.104305
- Camici, S., Giuliani, G., Brocca, L., Massari, C., Tarpanelli, A., Farahani, H.H., Sneeuw, N., Restano, M., Benveniste, J., 2022. Synergy between satellite observations of soil moisture and water storage anomalies for runoff estimation. Geoscientific Model Development 15, 6935–6956. https://doi.org/10.5194/gmd-15-6935-2022
- De Lannoy, G.J.M., Bechtold, M., Albergel, C., Brocca, L., Calvet, J.-C., Carrassi, A., Crow, W.T., de Rosnay, P., Durand, M., Forman, B., Geppert, G., Girotto, M., Hendricks Franssen, H.-J., Jonas, T., Kumar, S., Lievens, H., Lu, Y., Massari, C., Pauwels, V.R.N., Reichle, R.H., Steele-Dunne, S., 2022. Perspective on satellite-based land data assimilation to estimate water cycle components in an era of advanced data availability and model sophistication. Frontiers in Water 4. https://doi.org/10.3389/frwa.2022.981745
- De Santis, D., D’Amato, C., Bartkowiak, P., Azimi, S., Castelli, M., Rigon, R., Massari, C., 2022. Evaluation of remotely-sensed evapotranspiration datasets at different spatial and temporal scales at forest and grassland sites in Italy, in: 2022 IEEE Workshop on Metrology for Agriculture and Forestry, MetroAgriFor 2022 – Proceedings. pp. 356–361. https://doi.org/10.1109/MetroAgriFor55389.2022.9964755
- Massari, C., Avanzi, F., Bruno, G., Gabellani, S., Penna, D., Camici, S., 2022. Evaporation enhancement drives the European water-budget deficit during multi-year droughts. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 26, 1527–1543. https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-26-1527-2022
- Modanesi, S., Massari, C., Bechtold, M., Lievens, H., Tarpanelli, A., Brocca, L., Zappa, L., De Lannoy, G.J.M., 2022. Challenges and benefits of quantifying irrigation through the assimilation of Sentinel-1 backscatter observations into Noah-MP. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 26, 4685–4706. https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-26-4685-2022
- Moosavi, V., Karami, A., Behnia, N., Berndtsson, R., Massari, C., 2022. Linking hydro-physical variables and landscape metrics using advanced data mining for stream-flow prediction. Water Resources Management 36, 4255–4273. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11269-022-03251-9
Alfieri, L., Avanzi, F., Delogu, F., Gabellani, S., Bruno, G., Campo, L., Libertino, A., Massari, C., Tarpanelli, A., Rains, D., Miralles, D.G., Quast, R., Vreugdenhil, M., Wu, H., Brocca, L., 2022. High-resolution satellite products improve hydrological modeling in northern Italy. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 26, 3921–3939. https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-26-3921-2022
- Barbetta, S., Bonaccorsi, B., Tsitsifli, S., Boljat, I., Argiris, P., Reberski, J.L., Massari, C., Romano, E., 2022. Assessment of flooding impact on water supply systems: A comprehensive approach based on DSS. Water Resources Management 36, 5443–5459. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11269-022-03306-x
- Rigon, R., Formetta, G., Bancheri, M., Tubini, N., D’amato, C., David, O., Massari, C., 2022. HESS opinions: Participatory digital eARth twin hydrology systems (DARTHs) for everyone – a blueprint for hydrologists. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 26, 4773–4800. https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-26-4773-2022
- Tramblay, Y., Villarini, G., Saidi, M.E., Massari, C., Stein, L., 2022. Classification of flood-generating processes in Africa. Scientific Reports 12. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-022-23725-5
- Modanesi, S., Massari, C., Gruber, A., Lievens, H., Tarpanelli, A., Morbidelli, R., & De Lannoy, G. J. (2021). Optimizing a backscatter forward operator using Sentinel-1 data over irrigated land. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 1-39.
- Filippucci, P., Brocca, L., Massari, C., Saltalippi, C., Wagner, W., & Tarpanelli, A. (2021). Toward a self-calibrated and independent SM2RAIN rainfall product. Journal of Hydrology, 603, 1-13.
- Masseroni, D., Camici, S., Cislaghi, A., Vacchiano, G., Massari, C., & Brocca, L. (2021). The 63-year changes in annual streamflow volumes across Europe with a focus on the Mediterranean basin. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 25(10), 5589-5601.
- Massari, C., Modanesi, S., Dari, J., Gruber, A., De Lannoy, G. J., Girotto, M., … & Brocca, L. (2021). A review of irrigation information retrievals from space and their utility for users. Remote Sensing, 13(20), 4112.
- Maggioni, Viviana, Christian Massari, and Chris Kidd. “Errors and Uncertainties Associated with Quasi-Global Satellite Precipitation Products.” Precipitation Science (2021) in Roca, R., Haddad, Z. S., Akimoto, F. F., Alexander, L., Behrangi, A., Huffman, G., … & Utsumi, N. The Joint IPWG/GEWEX Precipitation Assessment (2021).
- De Santis, D., Biondi, D., Crow, W. T., Camici, S., Modanesi, S., Brocca, L., & Massari, C. (2021). Assimilation of Satellite Soil Moisture Products for River Flow Prediction: An Extensive Experiment in over 700 Catchments throughout Europe. Water Resources Research, e2021WR029643.
- Abdalla, S., Kolahchi, A. A., Ablain, M., Adusumilli, S., Bhowmick, S. A., Alou-Font, E., … & Hamon, M. (2021). Altimetry for the future: Building on 25 years of progress. Advances in Space Research.
- Mimeau, L., Tramblay, Y., Brocca, L., Massari, C., Camici, S., & Finaud-Guyot, P. (2021). Modeling the response of soil moisture to climate variability in the Mediterranean region. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 25(2), 653-669.
- Chen, F., Crow, W.T., Ciabatta, L., Filippucci, P., Panegrossi, G., Marra, A.C., Puca, S., Massari, C., 2020. Enhanced large-scale validation of satellite-based land rainfall products. Journal of Hydrometeorology 1. https://doi.org/10.1175/JHM-D-20-0056.1
- Pellarin, T., Román-Cascón, C., Baron, C., Bindlish, R., Brocca, L., Camberlin, P., … & Perrimond, B. (2020). The Precipitation Inferred from Soil Moisture (PrISM) near Real-Time Rainfall Product: Evaluation and Comparison. Remote Sensing, 12(3), 481.
- Cislaghi, A., Masseroni, D., Massari, C., Camici, S., & Brocca, L. (2020). Combining a rainfall–runoff model and a regionalization approach for flood and water resource assessment in the western Po Valley, Italy. Hydrological Sciences Journal, 65(3), 348-370.
- Modanesi, S., Massari, C., Camici, S., Brocca, L., & Amarnath, G. (2020). Do satellite surface soil moisture observations better retain information about crop‐yield variability in drought conditions?. Water Resources Research, e2019WR025855.
- Filippucci, P., Tarpanelli, A., Massari, C., Serafini, A., Strati, V., Alberi, M., … & Brocca, L. (2020). Soil moisture as a potential variable for tracking and quantifying irrigation: A case study with proximal gamma-ray spectroscopy data. Advances in Water Resources, 136, 103502.
- Azimi, S., Dariane, A. B., Modanesi, S., Bauer-Marschallinger, B., Bindlish, R., Wagner, W., & Massari, C. (2020). Assimilation of Sentinel 1 and SMAP–based satellite soil moisture retrievals into SWAT hydrological model: the impact of satellite revisit time and product spatial resolution on flood simulations in small basins. Journal of Hydrology, 581, 124367.
- Ciabatta, L., Camici, S., Massari, C., Filippucci, P., Hahn, S., Wagner, W., Brocca, L. (2019). Soil moisture and precipitation: the SM2RAIN algorithm for rainfall retrieval from satellite soil moisture. In: V. Levizzani et al., (eds.), Satellite precipitation measurement, Springer, book chapter, in press.
- Massari C., Maggioni V. (2019). Error and uncertainty characterization. In: V. Levizzani et al., (eds.), Satellite precipitation measurement, Springer, book chapter, in press.
- Brocca, L., Filippucci, P., Hahn, S., Ciabatta, L., Massari, C., Camici, S., Schüller, L., Bojkov, B., Wagner, W. (2019). SM2RAIN-ASCAT (2007-2018): global daily satellite rainfall from ASCAT soil moisture. Earth System Science Data, in press.
- Massari, C., Maggioni, V., Barbetta, S., Brocca, L., Ciabatta, L., Camici, S., Moramarco, T., Coccia, G., Todini, E. (2019). Complementing near-real time satellite rainfall products with satellite soil moisture-derived rainfall through a Bayesian inversion approach. Journal of Hydrology, 573, 341-351, doi:10.1016/j.jhydrol.2019.03.038. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2019.03.038.
- Dari, J., Morbidelli, R., Saltalippi, C., Massari, C., & Brocca, L. (2019). Spatial-temporal variability of soil moisture: addressing the monitoring at the catchment scale. Journal of Hydrology. 2020(in press). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2019.01.014
- Jalilvand, E., Tajrishy, M., Brocca, L., Massari, C., Hashemi, S. G. Z., & Ciabatta, L. (2018). Estimating the drainage rate from surface soil moisture drydowns: Application of DfD model to in situ soil moisture data. Journal of Hydrology, 565, 489-501. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2018.08.035
- Bauer-Marschallinger, B., Paulik, C., Hochstöger, S., Mistelbauer, T., Modanesi, S., Ciabatta, L., Massari, C., Brocca, L., Wagner, W. (2018). Soil moisture from fusion of scatterometer and SAR: closing the scale gap with temporal filtering. Remote Sensing, 10(7), 1030. https://doi.org/10.3390/rs10071030.
- Bauer-Marschallinger, B., Naeimi, F., Cao, S., Paulik, C., Schaufler, S., Stachl, T., Modanesi, S., Ciabatta, L., Massari, C., Brocca, L., Wagner, W. (2018). Towards global soil moisture monitoring with Sentinel-1: harnessing assets and overcoming obstacles. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, in press, https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2018.2858004.
- Camici, S., Ciabatta, L., Massari, C., Brocca, L. (2018). How reliable are satellite precipitation estimates for driving hydrological models: a verification study over the Mediterranean area. Journal of Hydrology, 563, 950-961, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2018.06.067.
- Chiaravalloti, F., Brocca, L., Procopio, A., Massari, C., Gabriele, S. (2018). Assessment of GPM and SM2RAIN-ASCAT rainfall products over complex terrain in southern Italy. Atmospheric Research, 206, 64-74, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosres.2018.02.019.
- Ciabatta, L., Massari, C., Brocca, L., Gruber, A., Reimer, C., Hahn, S., Paulik, C., Dorigo, W., Kidd, R., Wagner, W. (2018). SM2RAIN-CCI: a new global long-term rainfall data set derived from ESA CCI soil moisture. Earth System Science Data, 10, 267-280. https://doi.org/10.5194/essd-10-267-2018.
- Jalilvand, E., Tajrishy, M., Brocca, L., Massari, C., Hashemi, S.A.G., Ciabatta, L. (2018). Estimating the drainage rate from surface soil moisture drydowns: application of DfD model to in situ soil moisture data. Journal of Hydrology, 565, 489-501. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2018.08.035.
- Maggioni, V., & Massari, C. (2018). On the performance of satellite precipitation products in riverine flood modeling: A review. Journal of Hydrology, 558, 214-224. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2018.01.039
- Loizu, J., Massari, C., Álvarez-Mozos, J., Tarpanelli, A., Brocca, L., Casalí, J. (2018). On the assimilation set-up of ASCAT soil moisture data for improving streamflow catchment simulation. Advances in Water Resources, 111, 86-104, doi: 10.1016/j.advwatres.2017.10.034. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advwatres.2017.10.034.
- Massari, C., Camici, S., Ciabatta, L., Brocca, L. (2018). Exploiting satellite-based surface soil moisture for flood forecasting in the Mediterranean area: state update versus rainfall correction. Remote Sensing, 10(2), 292, doi: 10.3390/rs10020292. https://doi.org/10.3390/rs10020292.
- Ciabatta, L., Massari, C., Brocca, L., Gruber, A., Reimer, C., Hahn, S., Paulik, C., Dorigo, W., Kidd, R., Wagner, W. (2018). SM2RAIN-CCI: a new global long-term rainfall data set derived from ESA CCI soil moisture. Earth System Science Data, http://dx.doi.org/10.5194/essd-2017-86.
- Brocca, L., Crow, W.T., Ciabatta, L., Massari, C., de Rosnay, P., Enenkel, M., Hahn, S., Amarnath, G., Camici, S., Tarpanelli, A., Wagner, W. (2017). A review of the applications of ASCAT soil moisture products. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, 10(5), 2285-2306, doi:10.1109/JSTARS.2017.2651140. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/JSTARS.2017.2651140
- Brocca, L., Ciabatta, L., Massari, C., Camici, S., Tarpanelli, A. (2017). Soil moisture for hydrological applications: open questions and new opportunities. Water, 9(2), 140, doi:10.3390/w9020140. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/w9020140
- Ciabatta, L., Marra, A.C., Panegrossi, G., Casella, D., Sanò, P., Dietrich, S., Massari, C., Brocca, L. (2017). Daily precipitation estimation through different microwave sensors: verification study over Italy. Journal of Hydrology, 545, 436-450, doi: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2016.12.057. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2016.12.057
- Massari, C., Crow, W., Brocca, L. (2017). An assessment of the accuracy of global rainfall estimates without ground-based observations. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 21, 4347-4361, doi:10.5194/hess-21-4347-2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.5194/hess-21-4347-2017
- Massari, C., Su, C.-H., Brocca, L., Sang, Y.F., Ciabatta, L., Ryu, D., Wagner, W. (2017). Near real time de-noising of satellite-based soil moisture retrievals : An intercomparison among three different techniques. Remote Sensing of Environment., 198, 17-29, doi:10.1016/j.rse.2017.05.037. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2017.05.037
- Masseroni, D., Cislaghi, A., Camici, S., Massari, C., Brocca, L. (2017). A reliable rainfall-runoff model for flood forecasting: review and application to a semiurbanized watershed at high flood risk in Italy. Hydrology Research, 48(3), 726-740, doi:10.2166/nh.2016.037. http://dx.doi.org/10.2166/nh.2016.037
- Román-Cascón, C., Pellarin, T., Gibon, F., Brocca, L., Cosme, E., Crow, W., Fernández, D., Kerr, Y., Massari, C. (2017). Correcting satellite-based precipitation products through SMOS soil moisture data assimilation in two land-surface models of different complexity: API and SURFEX. Remote Sensing of Environment, 200, 295-310, doi:10.1016/j.rse.2017.08.022. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2017.08.022.
- Tarpanelli, A., Amarnath, G., Brocca, L., Massari, C., Moramarco, T. (2017). Discharge estimation and forecasting by MODIS and altimetry data in Niger-Benue River. Remote Sensing of Environment, 195, 96-106, doi:10.1016/j.rse.2017.04.015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2017.04.015
- Tarpanelli, A., Massari, C., Ciabatta, L., Filippucci, P., Amarnath, G., Brocca, L. (2017). Exploiting a constellation of satellite soil moisture sensors for accurate rainfall estimation. Advances in Water Resources, 108, 249-255, doi: 10.1016/j.advwatres.2017.08.010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.advwatres.2017.08.010.
- Brocca, L., Pellarin, T., Crow, W.T., Ciabatta, L., Massari, C., Ryu, D., Su, C.-H., Rudiger, C., Kerr, Y. (2016). Rainfall estimation by inverting SMOS soil moisture estimates: a comparison of different methods over Australia. Journal of Geophysical Research, 121(20), 12062-12079, doi:10.1002/2016JD025382. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/2016JD025382
- Brocca, L., Massari, C., Ciabatta, L., Wagner, W., Stoffelen, A. (2016). Remote sensing of terrestrial rainfall from Ku-band scatterometers. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, 9(1), 533-539,
- doi:10.1109/JSTARS.2015.2508065. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/JSTARS.2015.2508065
- Ciabatta, L., Brocca, L., Massari, C., Moramarco, T., Gabellani, S., Puca, S., Wagner, W. (2016). Rainfall-runoff modelling by using SM2RAIN-derived and state-of-the-art satellite rainfall products over Italy. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, 48, 163-173, doi:10.1016/j.jag.2015.10.004. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jag.2015.10.004
- Masseroni, D., Cislaghi, A., Camici, S., Massari, C.,Brocca, L. (2016). A reliable rainfall- runoff model for flood forecasting: review and application to a semiurbanized watershed at high flood risk in Italy. Hydrology Research, in press, doi:10.2166/nh.2016.037. http://dx.doi.org/10.2166/nh.2016.037
- Brocca, L., Massari, C., Ciabatta, L., Moramarco, T., Penna, D., Zuecco, G., Pianezzola, L., Borga, M., Matgen, P., Martínez-Fernández, J. (2015). Rainfall estimation from in situ soil moisture observations at several sites in Europe: an evaluation of SM2RAIN algorithm. Journal of Hydrology and Hydromechanics, 63(3), 201-209, doi:10.1515/johh-2015-0016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1515/johh-2015-0016
- Ciabatta, L., Brocca, L., Massari, C., Moramarco, T., Puca, S., Rinollo, A., Gabellani, S., Wagner, W. (2015). Integration of satellite soil moisture and rainfall observations over the Italian territory. Journal of Hydrometeorology, 16(3), 1341-1355, doi:10.1175/JHM-D-14- 0108.1. http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JHM-D-14-0108.1
- Massari, C., Brocca, L., Ciabatta, L., Moramarco, T., Gabellani, S., Albergel, C., de Rosnay, P., Puca, S., Wagner, W. (2015). The use of H-SAF soil moisture products for operational hydrology: flood modelling over Italy. Hydrology, 2(1), 2-22, doi:10.3390/hydrology2010002. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/hydrology2010002
- Massari, C., Brocca, L., Tarpanelli, A., Moramarco, T. (2015). Data assimilation of satellite soil moisture into rainfall-runoff modelling: a complex recipe? Remote Sensing, 7(9),
11403-11433, doi:10.3390/rs70911403. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/rs70911403
- Massari, C., Yeh, T. C. J., Ferrante, M., Brunone, B., and Meniconi, S. (2015). A stochastic approach for extended partial blockage detection in viscoelastic pipelines: numerical and laboratory experiments. Journal of Water Supply: Research and Technology – AQUA, 64 (5), pp. 583-595, http://dx.doi:10.2166/aqua.2015.034
- Brocca, L., Ciabatta, L., Massari, C., Moramarco, T., Hahn, S., Hasenauer, S., Kidd,
R., Dorigo, W., Wagner, W., Levizzani, V. (2014). Soil as a natural rain gauge: estimating global rainfall from satellite soil moisture data. Journal of Geophysical Research, 119(9), 5128-5141, doi:10.1002/2014JD021489. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/2014JD021489
- Massari, C., Brocca, L., Barbetta, S., Papathanasiou, C., Mimikou, M., Moramarco, T. (2014). Using globally available soil moisture indicators for flood modelling in Mediterranean catchments. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 18, 839-853, doi:10.5194/hess-18-839-2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.5194/hess-18-839-2014
- Massari, C., Brocca, L., Moramarco, T., Tramblay, Y., Didon Lescot, J.-F. (2014). Potential of soil moisture observations in flood modelling: estimating initial conditions and correcting rainfall. Advances in Water Resources, 74, 44-53, doi:10.1016/j.advwatres.2014.08.004. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.advwatres.2014.08.004
- Ferrante, M., Brunone, B., Meniconi, S., Karney, B. W., Massari, C. (2014). Leak size, detectability and test conditions in pressurized pipe systems. Water Resources Management, 28(13), 4583-4598. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11269-014-0752-6
- Meniconi, S., Brunone, B., Ferrante, M., and Massari, C. (2014). Energy dissipation and pressure decay during transients in viscoelastic pipes with an in-line valve. Journal of Fluids and Structures, 45, 235-249. doi: 10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2013.12.013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2013.12.013
- Massari, C., Yeh, T. C., Ferrante, M., Brunone, B., & Meniconi, S. (2014). A stochastic tool for determining the presence of partial blockages in viscoelastic pipelines: first experimental results. Procedia Engineering, 70, 1112-1120. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2014.02.123
- Ferrante, M., Brunone, B., Meniconi, S., Capponi, C., & Massari, C. (2014). The leak law: From local to global scale. Procedia Engineering, 70, 651-659. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2014.02.071
- Brunone, B., Ferrante, M., Meniconi, S., Massari, C. (2013). Effectiveness assessment of pipe systems by means of transient test-based techniques. Procedia Environmental Sciences, 19, 814-822. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.proenv.2013.06.090
- Massari, C., Yeh, T. C. J., Brunone, B., Ferrante, M., Meniconi, S. (2013). Diagnosis of pipe systems by means of a stochastic successive linear estimator. Water resources management, 27(13), 4637-4654. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11269-013-0433-x
- Massari, C., Yeh, T. C. J., Ferrante, M., Brunone, B., Meniconi, S. (2013). Diagnosis of pipe systems by the SLE: first results. Water Science & Technology: Water Supply, 13(4), 958-965. http://dx.doi.org/10.2166/ws.2013.051
- Meniconi, S., Brunone, B., Ferrante, M., Massari, C. (2013). Numerical and experimental investigation of leaks in viscoelastic pressurized pipe flow. Drinking Water Engineering and Science, 6(1), 11-16. http://dx.doi.org/10.5194/dwes-6-11-2013
- Massari, C., Yeh, T. C. J., Ferrante, M., Brunone, B., Meniconi, S. (2013). Detection and sizing of extended partial blockages in pipelines by means of a stochastic successive linear estimator. Journal of Hydroinformatics. http://dx.doi.org/10.2166/hydro.2013.172
- Ferrante, M., Massari, C., Brunone, B., Meniconi, S. (2013). Leak behaviour in pressurized PVC pipes. Water Science & Technology: Water Supply, 13(4), 987-992, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00221686.2012.696558
- Ferrante, M., Massari, C., Todini, E., Brunone, B., Meniconi, S. (2012). Experimental investigation of leak hydraulics. Journal of Hydroinformatics 15(3) 666-675. http://dx.doi.org/10.2166/hydro.2012.034
- Meniconi, S., Brunone, B., Ferrante, M., Massari, C. (2013). Numerical and experimental investigation of leaks in viscoelastic pressurized pipe flow. Drinking Water Engineering and Science, 6(1), 11-16. http://dx.doi.org/10.5194/dwes-6-11-2013
- Massari, C., Ferrante, M., Brunone, B., Meniconi, S. (2012). Is the leak head–discharge relationship in polyethylene pipes a bijective function?. Journal of Hydraulic Research, 50(4), 409-417. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00221686.2012.696558
- Meniconi, S., Brunone, B., Ferrante, M., Massari, C. (2012). Transient hydrodynamics of in-line valves in viscoelastic pressurized pipes: long-period analysis. Experiments in fluids, 53(1), 265-275. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00348-012-1287-3
- Ferrante, M., Todini, E., Massari, C., Brunone, B., Meniconi, S. (2012). Equivalent hydraulic resistance to simulate pipes subject to diffuse outflows. Journal of Hydroinformatics, 14(1), 65-74. http://dx.doi.org/10.2166/hydro.2011.043
- Meniconi, S., Brunone, B., Ferrante, M., Massari, C. (2011). Transient tests for locating and sizing illegal branches in pipe systems. Journal of Hydroinformatics, 13(3), 334-345. http://dx.doi.org/10.2166/hydro.2011.012
- Meniconi, S., Brunone, B., Ferrante, M., Massari, C. (2011). Small amplitude sharp pressure waves to diagnose pipe systems. Water resources management, 25(1), 79-96. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11269-010-9688-7
- Ferrante, M., Massari, C., Brunone, B., & Meniconi, S. (2011). Experimental evidence of hysteresis in the head-discharge relationship for a leak in a polyethylene pipe. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering 137 (7), pp. 775-780. http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)HY.1943-790
- Meniconi, S., Brunone, B., Ferrante, M., Massari, C. (2011). Potential of transient tests to diagnose real supply pipe systems: What can be done with a single extemporary test. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, 137(2), 238-241. http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000098